Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Fall is on it's Way!!!!

I am keenly aware of the change in temperature that lurks just outside my window. The Virgina Creeper has changed from a deep green to vibrant red and sadly many of the leaves have fallen off reveling an empty stem that will be a reminder of this wonderful summer as the winter winds toughen up the virgin bark. The air has a familiar sent, like that of an old friend who has returned after a long vacation. And like and old friend I welcome it with every fiber of my being.

The sage brush is in full bloom. Rivers of tiny yellow flowers adorn waist size bushes and I feel sorry for them as they seem to be holding on to a summer that is leaving. Like a woman courts a man who is uninterested.

My want to bake the familiar treats of fall. Those that are full of cinnamon are my favorite and I love the way the house smells days after. Like a lingering memory that fills my heart with home.

Fall is here and I didn't realize how I longed for this moment, the moment of country comfort.

1 comment:

Lyndee W. said...

Oh my gosh! That is the most beautiful post I have ever read. So much detail and feeling...I didn't know you could write like that!