Thursday, December 11, 2008

Is Santa Real?

So the other day Kai was asking me about Santa. "Is Santa real?" he asked. A little surprised I said "Well what do you think?" He thought about it for a little bit and responded "No, I think Santa is Daddy." I didn't say anything.

What do you say to that? This was a critical point for him. Do I say your right and that magic is possible lost or do I lie, keep the magic there a little longer but in the end he will find out I lied to him anyway? What do you do? I choose to try and act like I hadn't heard him.

That didn't work because he watched me an realized I wasn't going to say anything so he asked "Mom is it dad?". My response was again "What do you think?". He just looked at me and said " I think your my mom and you won't lie to me. Is daddy Santa?". "You know you are pretty smart! Your right, how did you know?" I said. {big smile} "I know because I am smart!"

Now I know that some mom's will think I was a terrible mother for telling him but I felt that if I want him to never doubt anything I tell him I have to be honest in everything. I tried to avoid the answer but he was insistent, that told me he really wanted to know and he has every right to know.

It didn't take away from the excitement of Christmas for him he is still just as excited as ever if not more so. He knows all the secrets and he now is part of a group of people who know something that his little brother and sister don't. He is part of the 'big kid' group. I am always amazed that even at 5 they are smart about how things are.

After all people, Christmas isn't about Santa it is about Christ, the spirit of giving and love. Him knowing something so insignificant doesn't change the real meaning of Christmas. It refocuses it!

Photobucket

4 comments:

Lyndee W. said...

It refocuses it. I really like that! Great job handling it. I've been thinking about my experience and decided that Sean didn't really want to know...he was just testing and seeing if I would get mad {he does that often}. I don't know if you read the link that Alison put on my comments but her cousin handled it by demonstrating with an angel tree {having the child pick the ornament and earn the money to earn the gift, help to wrap the gift, then return it to the angel tree} that we are all Santa. By giving to others we remember the greatest gift given to us all by our Savior and that Christmas isn't so much about getting as it is about giving. I liked that answer too.

Sean actually was talking about making cookies for Santa yesterday, which tells me that he didn't really want to know.

Love ya Lucy! You're an amazing Mom and a great example to me of how I should mother. BTW, does Creed know? Or did Kai one-up him? Can't wait to see you tomorrow! You're driving me crazy!

Shanna said...

I don't know if Creed knows or not. I am sure he does he is just so quiet that I am not positive. Honestly about the whole you don't know if Sean really wanted to know...he will most likely forget if he really didn't want to know. They are very selective in what they take from you. Don't worry about anything. Him knowing doesn't change anything and him not remembering won't either. Just have fun when you can that is what really matters.
I love the saying that is in my kitchen from Pres. Hinkley "In all of living have much of fun and laughter, life is to be enjoyed not just endured." No worries.
BTW about tomarrow *giggle* :)

Lyndee W. said...

Thanks for the words of inspiration. I do stress over itty bitty things way too much.

I love this pic of Kai...it's one of my faves. It just captures his personality so well. I love candid shots. Hmmm, I wonder who took this pic for you!? LOL

I may pee my pants from excitement before the day is out! I hate not knowing. Arghhh! {sorry Mom about the word pee}

Mama Vee said...

"Excrete", Lyndee. Or "void". Or urinate... Never "pee" ;)